04 September 2007

Giving Up

“Giving” has one of those covers that entices not one of my aesthetic senses. I do understand that this book will probably make Knopf a boat-load of money but its design offers only moneymaking elements—the author’s name. I can’t say much about this because there isn’t much to work with. The back cover apparently has one of those wonderful pictures of Bill Clinton smiling among a group of cheery poverty-stricken people. That might be nice.

Giving: How each of us can change the world
Bill Clinton
Knopf


And the one stylistic choice, those blue dividers, I can’t say they are necessary.

Any takers?

3 Comments:

Blogger Lark(e) said...

I want to see that picture of Clinton and the poverty chilluns. That should be the front.

10:27 PM  
Blogger Salvatore said...

It's quite reminiscent of Al Gore's 'The Assault Against Reason', although it's not nearly as effective as you point out. The patriotic color scheme is dull. I do like how it makes you feel that Clinton is 'giving' something, which is enticing.

I agree on the dividers too...they don't help at all. At least the red line on Gore's book makes everything stand out.

7:54 PM  
Blogger Salvatore said...

Finally seeing the book in stores, the red looks putrid. It's not nearly as enticing as the clean look online.

1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home